Like This on Facebook!

Monday, November 26, 2007

Recovery, Week 2

My surgery and recovery ran together with the Thanksgiving holidays like watercolors. My surgery was one week prior to Thanksgiving day. I also traveled the day before Thanksgiving day by car for 8-9 hours. Fortunately, I was still on liquids for the trip. The very next day I switched to mushies. I was able to add bananas, cream of wheat, crackers, tuna fish, canned salmon, canned fruit (no sugar added), cottage cheese. Since we didn't have the typical Thanksgiving feast this year (grandmother-in-law was in hospital, mother-in-law was recovering from shoulder surgery) I was able to stick to my mushies diet fairly well. I did get brave and start trying beef jerky.... and as long as I chewed the heck out of it in tiny bites, I was just fine eating that. (They have the BEST beef jerky here in Montana!)

I also made a large batch of homemade lasagna and parmesan garlic bread for the fam. No one likes to cook here and I do, so I always like to make some good food when I come. I had a salad plate with half a slice of lasagna and a small piece of bread. It was VERY good. I waited a little while and felt like I could have a little more so I had a little more lasagna and bread. I suppose that meal was the requisite "bad" meal for the holiday. I didn't feel too bad about it as I have been working out like a fiend here. It will balance out. (turns out that the lasagna didn't really agree with my system too well anyway- so I'm not tempted to take some home no matter how good it tasted)

I have returned to my coffee habit, which I am SO VERY grateful I didn't have to give up. I am an addict of massive proportions. There is no denying it. I have a giant caffeine-monkey on my back, and I give him whatever he wants. I would just like to say thank god for SF flavors and nonfat milk. During my normal workdays, I have a huge iced americano (espresso & water on ice- with a dash of nonfat milk) to start off my mornings. So I am grateful I can still do that too.

My bandages have started falling off. The first to go were the three that covered my largest incision for my port. Most of the others are curling and could go at any time, but I'm going to let them tell me when they are ready to be uncovered. The sensation around the largest incision is all numbed. It feels weird. I am able to sit up in bed without any pain in my abdominals anymore. I've been walking 1-3 miles a day here everyday. It's been good for me. I think I might have overdone it yesterday with the 3.2 miles I walked on this road that was extremely hilly. My legs are "barking" today.

According to the scale here (who knows how accurate it is) I have lost another pound in these few days here. That brings me to a grand total of 21 lbs lost so far in this journey. I am hoping it's actually more- but won't know till I go in for my first fill. I call tomorrow to schedule my first fill. I am excited to do it- all the swelling has pretty much gone away and I have started to actually feel hungry again. I am excited to get moving on the maintenance of this cool new contraption! And start losing these pounds like there's no tomorrow!

I need to really concentrate on staying hydrated. I find it's easier to do that when I am at work. I have a drinking obsession when I work, so it's easy to get all my liquids in and then some. Luckily I am located close to the water cooler and the bathroom!

Well, getting ready to get back to Seattle now. Catch you later!

jh

No comments: