Like This on Facebook!

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Recovery, Week 1

The first week and a half after surgery, I really didn't have much of an appetite. The first few mornings upon waking, the largest feeling I had was pain from my incisions. Getting out of bed was an interesting prospect as you use your abdominal muscles quite a lot to sit up! But after getting upright, my main goal was usually to pee and then get some pain meds down me. This proved to be a challenge the first two days.

I would take my liquid Lortab, and then try to get down a little bite of yogurt. This would immediately make me nauseous. The first day, I managed to choke down some anti-nausea meds and then I went immediately back to bed. Laying down really helped. The next morning, I woke up at 4 a.m. or so hurting. I went and took some more pain meds, and again tried some thinned down yogurt- and again nausea. This time it wasn't cured by just laying down. I fought and fought to keep from vomiting- but in the end, I had to do it. It was incredibly painful, but luckily didn't last more than two good pushes.

I was really afraid that I did some damage to my band and I felt awful. Once that adventure was over, I got some more sleep. I felt fine when I woke up. I addressed the bandster boards and asked for advice on morning nausea- Most people said it was likely a reaction to the anesthesia from surgery. Happily, this problem never reared its ugly head again. I felt fine each morning after that.

Week one post-op was a culinary adventure in liquid goo. The goal was to find the most flavorful, lowest caloric items to put in the blender with nonfat milk and sip down in liquid form. There was a tie for the worst concoction I made. It was neck and neck between cheddar broccoli soup and campbell's tomato bisque. Neither of these soups are ones I recommend! They were really unpleasant. Otherwise, the week one liquid diet was fine. I wasn't really hungry at any point- so I wasn't really interested in food. (which is QUITE the change from my normal behaviors) Trying to stay hydrated was a difficult thing to do as well because I would get so full so quickly.

Each day walking helped me to recover quickly. I took to the walking with vigor and serious obsession. I ended up walking more and more each day. I didn't feel good unless I did so. It is absolutely true what your surgeon tells you! DO YOUR WALKING!

jh

No comments: